Follow these easy home insurance tips and you can save money in Beaverton, OR
It seems these days that things just get more and more expensive. From the cost of groceries to a gallon of gasoline, folks may be pinching quite a few pennies to stay ahead. If you own a home or condo, just the maintenance and home insurance in Beaverton, OR can feel like an overwhelming cost. But fear not, there are some simple things you can do around your dwelling to help reduce the cost of your home or condo insurance in Beaverton, Oregon.
- LOCATION: Before you even buy your home or condo, check out the location. Are you close to a fire or police station? Is the area prone to flooding or earthquakes (ahem, PNW)? Make sure you not only look at the convenience factors of your new home (grocery stores, freeway access) but make sure the area is also safe. Neighborhoods with high crime rates or those in a flood plain may cost more to insure as the likelihood of an expensive claim is greater than those neighborhoods without those factors.
- SMOKE DETECTORS: Is your home safe and secure? Most home these days have smoke detectors, but check to make sure yours are in proper working order and have fresh batteries (we all hate that beeping!). It is also a good idea to keep a small fire extinguisher in your kitchen or garage in the event of small household fire; accidents happen and being prepared goes a long way. Make sure that your insurance agent knows that you have working smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher.
- SECURITY SYSTEM: Is your home wired for a security system? While it may be a small monthly charge, having a security system could save you coin on your insurance premium. That being said, make sure your system is armed and those who need the code have it…otherwise the local police department, upon responding to the babysitter couldn’t shut off the alarm, will send a ticket upwards of $200 to you, the homeowner.
- MAINTENANCE: You water the lawn and trim the hedges, but do you remember to check the water heater for leaks? Performing a little TLC on your home like keeping the roof in good repair, maintain the gutters, eliminating hazards like dead trees (also pruning tree branches that a perched above roofs, cars or decks) can eliminate the need for an insurance claim should the water heater flood the house or the roof begins to leak. Also, catching small issues early generally saves you money during the overall repair.
- ENERGY UPGRADES: We want our cars to be energy efficient, consuming less gas so we can save more money, your home should be the same way. Switching out light bulbs to energy efficient LED bulbs and having certified energy efficient appliances can help save you money each month on your utility bills. Even turning your thermostat down a few degrees and grabbing a blanket to get warm can help you save. If you have been thinking about replacing your water heater, washer/dryer, range or refrigerator, check out Energystar.gov for Energy Star certified appliances and other helpful home efficiency ideas.
Be sure to tell your agent about any upgrades or improvements that you have made to your home!
Before purchasing a home or condo, it’s important to remember to talk to your licensed insurance agent in Beaverton, OR to ensure the homeowners insurance is affordable. Before you conclude that you found the perfect property, get an expert opinion from Hukari Insurance in Beaverton, OR. Their years of insurance experience can save you a bundle, and they live right in your area, so know first-hand what your insurance needs might be such as earthquake insurance or flood insurance. You can also visit our insurance website 24/7 to learn more while you search for the perfect new home.